No, you can’t do it automatically and it is kind of a pain in the butt. After a lot of trial and error I have my method down, so I thought I would share it with you all.
1. Use KeepVid to download the YouTube video as an .flv file.
2. PPT won’t recognize FLV files as movies — you can’t embed Flash in PowerPoint, apparently– so you need to convert it to MPG. I use a program called Riva FLV Encoder.
While Riva converts to FLV by default, it can convert from FLV as well.
Install the program and select the FLV you just downloaded in the “Input Video” box.
The “Output Directory” will be automatically selected, as will the filename for the “Destination Video File.” By default it is the .flv extension, but just change this to .mpg.
3. Click “Encode”. This will take a while depending on how powerful your machine is.
4. Open Windows Movie Maker (hey, it’s free and it comes installed on XP by default). Click “Import Video”.
This can also take a while. For some godawful reason Windows chops up certain videos into lots of little bits. If you’re editing down the file for a presentation, this can be really useful, however. Just drag whatever bits of the video you want on to the Video storyboard, etc. This program is made for 11 year olds, so you should find it pretty simple.
5. When you’re done, click “Save to my Computer” and go through the wizard.
6. Now you can import the .mpg into PPT as an embedded video. NOTE: POWERPOINT DOES NOT AUTOMATICALLY SAVE THE VIDEO AS PART OF THE PRESENTATION, so if you’re going to be running the presentation off a CD/someone else’s computer you’ll have to fiddle a bit.
The easiest thing I’ve found is to select the “Package for CD” option, which will make a CD including the .ppt file and all linked files. Click “options” and make sure you select “embedded TrueType fonts” if you’re not using one of the standard Windows fonts.
All this rigamarole should be completely unnecessary soon, as I’m sure Google’s PowerPoint clone will include YouTube video embedding as standard. Keep your fingers crossed.
Happy finals to everyone!